It turned out I was not as wiped out from yesterday’s ceiling fan install as I thought I would be, so I decided to tackle changing the flooring in my closet. I had leftover laminate from when I put down new flooring in Daniel’s room, and I decided to make the most of the materials at hand and replace the last bit of carpeting left in this house.

To say the carpet in my closet was nasty is an understatement. I know carpets can be comfortable, but given I am pretty sure this was the original carpeting from when this house what built in 1992, it was completely gross.


Still, there is something liberating about ripping up and throwing out old carpeting. It comes apart rather easily (assuming, of course, you have a good box cutter or blade), and with the exception of removing the tack strips, taking out carpet is a fairly simple process.

The not-so-clean slate.

Laying down laminate is also pretty simple. The toughest part is making sure your cuts are correct. With this space bring mostly a rectangle, it was fairly easy. However, there were some corner cuts for the spaces at the entrance of the closet that required vertical and horizontal cuts. I lost about 30 minutes on one piece going back and forth, shaving off about 1/16 of an inch at a time, making sure I got it to fit just right while not cutting too much from either side.

In the end, I think it came out great. But just like yesterday’s fan, I am pretty bummed I will only get to enjoy it for a couple of weeks.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s